Seat of the archbishop of Santiago de Compostela and the end of the Camino.
The Romanesque building was begun in 1075 over the tomb that tradition
assigns to the apostle James. The main front (the Obradoiro, with its two
matching towers) is much later, eighteenth-century Baroque; the original
Romanesque survives inside and, above all, in Master Mateo’s Pórtico de la
Gloria, finished in 1188.