A monumental gateway built by Carl Gotthard Langhans between 1788 and
1791 at the entrance to Berlin’s Unter den Linden, commissioned by
Frederick William II of Prussia as a gate of peace. It copies the
Propylaea on the Athenian Acropolis fairly directly, with six Greek Doric
columns on each side, and carries a bronze “Quadriga of Victory” with the
goddess Victory (the sculptor Schadow originally meant her to be Eirene,
peace) driving four horses.