Cathedral consecrated in 1118 in the middle of the Piazza dei Miracoli in
Pisa, next to the baptistery and the famous leaning tower (which is its bell
tower). Designed by the master builder Buschetto and continued by Rainaldo,
it mixes Lombard Romanesque with Byzantine, Islamic and classical elements
that arrived through Pisa’s military campaigns around the Mediterranean. Its
front of four stacked tiers of open arcading became the model for what is
now called Pisan Romanesque.